Dodge Caliber Forum banner

Installing a Uconnect Bluetooth for RES head

42K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  UN4GTBL 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Greetings,

My Caliber SXT came with the RES radio that has uconnect buttons. The uconnect module did not come with the car and I installed one. Since I did not see the details on how to do this in the forum, I decided to put in a description of what I did.

1 - I bought the part number 82211877 from a dealer off the net (not ebay). I googled around until I found a good price, about $210, plus shipping. The price listed at the dealer was $257. This is the part with just the mic, not the one with the voice recognition and call button. There is a different part for the RES radio that does not have the uconnect buttons.

2 - The kit came with a connector harness, a module, a microphone and a CD that had instructions. There are a few posts here that show how to take apart the dash, so I will not repeat. It was easy. go slowly with a flat screwdriver and you should be able to get the bezel off. I unplugged the main connector from the back of the radio and plugged the connector harness in between. The other end of the connector harness I plugged into the bluetooth module. I attached the module to the frame on the right side of the glove box. coiled the extra wire with a tie wrap.

3 - I took off the plastic on the inside of the A-pillar. My Cali is a 2009, so the instructions were not correct. there is a little door in the center of the pillar. behind that there is a Phillips screw. take out the screw and the plastic part comes off easy. I snaked the microphone wire up around under the headliner to the driver side. I did not attach the wire to anything underneath. then put the covers back on.

4 - I called a couple of dealers to find out what it would take to get the car programmed to recognize the unit. All said 1 hr. From looking at the instructions I think it could be done in 20 minutes, but that is what I was going to get charged. The guys at the dealer were skeptical since I had installed it (I have an MSEE), so I had printed the instructions for them

http://rah.web.officelive.com/Documents/UConnect_Starscan_Instructions.pdf

5 - works great. :smileup: Total time for my work was about under an hour. The mic sounds like you are at a distance away since the high and low audio range is cut out. It connected fine to a Blackberry 8830 and a Storm. At $87/hr I saved 1.5-2 hr that the dealer would have charged me for the rest of the install. not that it would have taken them that long, that is prob what the book says. now to do it to my Liberty!

See less See more
#2 ·
Good info complete with part numbers. Thanks. :rep:

#3 ·
Well done! Thanks for this "How-To" :rep:

#4 · (Edited)
Thanks

Tweed,

Thanks for this thread. It helped me complete the u-connect upgrade to my Caliber with the same RES Radio (with U-Connect Button). I put the u-connect module in the right side of the dash, next to the lower glove compartment. Lots of room there. The connection to the stereo was simple since there seems to me a lot of space in the dash. I also snaked the mic up the windshield pillar and across the headliner.

To add to this thread I have added pictures of the U-Connect Module, The Installed u-Connect Mic and a picture of the RES Radio with the U-Connect and Voice Recognition buttons.

IMO the most challenging part was removing the centre bezel.... and that wasn't too difficult. There are some great instructions in this forum on how to do this

BTW - I also went ahead and did the iPod Integration using Mopar Part Number: 82212000. This cable works with both the iPhone and iPods. The other available cables will not work properly with the iPhone. IMPORTANT: This iPOd integration requires Uconnect module to be installed as it connects to the UConnect module, not the stereo.

I

#5 ·
thanks for the info. Where did you get the Starscan tool from?

#7 ·
Nice work!! Rep points coming your way!:smileup:

#8 ·
Perfect installation point in the car too.

#13 ·
Nice "How To" write up Tweed, thanx ! !
I have (I think) the REQ 6disc radio and factory Sirius satellite allready installed from the dealer.
I took the same route you did and installed Uconnect myself.
It's an EZ install, took about one hour to do and it works GREAT.
the only problem is now the Sirius satellite stopped working.
Any help or ideas ?!?!?

#14 ·
08black - was the bluetooth Uconnect device programmed via STARCAN by the dealer after the install? could they have done something wrong? maybe need to renter a Sirius code. my Sirius will stop working later this month. I got the ipod cable to go along with the Uconnect box.

#15 ·
08black - was the bluetooth Uconnect device programmed via STARCAN by the dealer after the install? could they have done something wrong? maybe need to renter a Sirius code. my Sirius will stop working later this month. I got the ipod cable to go along with the Uconnect box.
The Uconnect, as you know is a "straight-foward" simple install. It works fine as does the rest of the radio functions execpt for the Sirius satellite.
We took the Caliber to the dealer and they acted as if your cant do Sirius and Uconnect at the same time on the same radio.
I still have the 'Mopar Install' paper work and if I remember it does say something about hooking the car up to a dio-computer to set the radio options, could that be the trouble??
The funny part is we have an 02 Intrepid R/T with the RB1 nav-radio, Uconnect and we just installed the Sirius satellite receiver and it works without any trouble at all. Now we cant see driving without either the Uconnect, nav-radio or the satellite ! !

#19 ·
I took the Caliber to the dealer with the printed StarScan instructions that came with the Uconnect and the dealer said that maybe it's a wiring issue, he would have to take the radio apart to determine the cause (?!?!?!?!).
The thing that gets me is that the Uconnect works fine, the AM/FM radio works, the CDs play just fine. The satelite radio stopped working right after the Uconnect was installed. The radio's display shows the different satelite radio stations but there is no sound. Sirus says that the account is good and working and we have sent a dozen activation cades to the radio but still no luck.
Any ideas anyone ?!?!?!

#20 ·
2008 with RES / u connect

I have a 2008 that came with the factory u-connect. I installed a RES radio so that I could have Sirius. Now I have two uconnect buttons, 1 on the mirror (the original) and the one on the RES radio. The radio works fine, however, when pushing the uconnect on the mirror, it cuts out the radio for a few seconds. When pushing the uconnect button on the RES, nothing happens. There is no connection between the mirror and the radio. Is there a way to make this combination work?

#23 ·
I've always wondered if that would work!

The RES has an external uConnect module, that then connects to the mirror. You will probably need new wiring harnesses (or at least re-pin what you have) and a new rear view mirror, and the uConnect Module (Hands Free Module)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.