Dodge Caliber Forum banner

Try this mod ( pics and instructions )

14K views 34 replies 18 participants last post by  UN4GTBL 
#1 · (Edited)
ok ..again I have been looking for something to cover those beautiful rusty strut bolts...or whatever they are... and I like to make my own stuff ..but this is so simple you got to try it..

STEP ONE: locate the ugly rusty looking dealie in your engine compartment..

STEP TWO: look for stuff lying around the house to make it look pretty...I found Black gloss paint, elmers rubber cement ( it stays on but comes off easy ), sand paper (not heavy duty sand paper just enough to scratch up plastic...) and this is the best part...you need to locate a top off of a amorall spray bottle .. all items pictured below......

STEP THREE: sand the plastic spray bottle top enough to scratch it up a little..( this is why you need a lite grit sand paper )..then take that top and spray paint it a little..I used a stick in the ground and placed the cap on top to hold it. spray paint it a few times til it looks smooth and pretty... it might take a few coats..just barely cover it each time.. in between sprays...go wipe down the area around the nasty looking piece of rusty bolt thingie.. then when you are done painting and it's all dry...put he elmers on the bottom open end of the nice looking cap....

BEFORE

AFTER

the cool thing about this mod...is you can paint it any color to match what ever you want... and you can even slide things inside the cap with out painting it so it has a cool looking picture inside you can do what ever you want... mine stayed in without the elmers....but then I don't drive like BO DUKE down the back roads.

I'm sorry I keep finding ways to make projects out of everything....but..I'm not happy with the rust look.... enjoy the new mod project ( it took me less than 10 minutes) . :smiley_thumbs_up:

Remember this comes off easy to get to the rusty looking bolt thingie if you have to change out your struts....or whatever it is.....

See less See more
#32 ·
I saw this thread pop up again..since it is my day off today, went out and checked to see how the covers are doing. they are still in place and look great... one is not glued down with rubber cement just to see if it would stay. and it did since last April til October still looks great.. the rubber cement is holding still on the other one. I only put a little on it.. I stepped back and thought to myself...yeah it still looks good..

#34 ·
I have had the same caps every since I made this post( in 2009 )..I recently repainted them Green to match my engine cover. I put them back on they have stayed in place and it cleans up the engine..believe it or not nobody else did this..at Gatty 2010. I seen some great engines, beautiful artwork and the rusty strut bolts still standing out ..WHY WHY WHY????? I guess they like one flaw to make the rest look better? I want to see whats up when I go to the midwest meet..maybe someone has come up with another way to cover them.. some of my ideas are ahead of their time.. I guess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.