Dodge Caliber Forum banner

Installing Lighted Window Switches

45K views 77 replies 48 participants last post by  672aq 
#1 ·
INSTALLATION OF LIGHTED WINDOW SWITCHES FOR THE DODGE CALIBER.
Part 1
By Darren Grantham aka. Raven Ghostwolf

The switches I used are for a 2007 Dodge Charger you will need;
1 drivers door switch P/N 04602780AA. List price I paid $39.75.
3 rear passenger door switches P/N 04602787AA. List price I paid $8.05 each.

Tools used are;
Torx T-25 wrench or socket.
Plastic spatula.

Here is a picture of the switches before installation.

All 4 doors are done the same. I will start step by step with the drivers side door and then include a couple pictures of the left rear door also.

First you need to pop out the trim plug from the bottom of the hand grip in the arm rest. I did this with just my finger nail it comes out really easy. Next you need to remove the T-25 Torx screw located under this plug.

The next thing you need to do is the most nerve racking the first time you do it. To remove the door panel insert I used a plastic kitchen spatula to initially pry on it. I chose a plastic spatula to prevent scratching the plastic door panel. I took the spatula and worked it in between the insert and door panel prying out on the insert until I could get my finger tips on it enough to slowly but firmly pull back on it.

Here you can see one of the plastic clips that hold the panel in place. Pull back slowly with both hands working outwards to both ends and down, it sounds awful as you do it but if you take your time with it, the insert panel will pull free from the door panel.

Here are what the clips look like on the back of the insert panel.

Once the insert pulls free let it fold out from the door, there are 2 plastic factory restraining straps that act like hinges to hold the panel up for you.

The switch assembly is covered by a foam insulating material as you can see above.
Carefully peel back the material so it can be re-wrapped around the plugs when you are done.

Once the plugs are exposed there is a tab on the plug that you must press in as you pull on the plug to remove it from the switch assembly.

Once the plugs are removed, remove the switch assembly from the door insert. There are 6 tabs on the drivers switch (3 on each side) and 4 tabs on the other door switches. I found it easiest to remove the switch by pressing upwards on the switch under the panel with one hand and using the spatula to separate the switch and insert on the ‘back’ side first then the side closest to me to pop out the switch.
This picture shows the door insert with the switch removed.

At this point reassembly is just the reverse, snap the new switch into place, plug the wire harness back into the switches. Carefully re-wrap the foam insulation around the switch and plugs. Then lift the door insert back into place, I started at the bottom and worked my way around the sides and top pressing in and using the side of my fist to hammer against the panel popping it back into place. Once the insert is securely back in place put the Torx screw back in and pop the trim plug back into place.

See less See more
#33 ·
There are very few aspects that I do not like about my Caliber, one of them is the fact that the window switches do not illuminate. Now it is just a matter of ordering the parts, and adding this to my "Honey-Do" list. Thanks for the great info and pics!

#35 ·
the only one that lights up in mine is the drivers window (in the pack of 4 switches) but there are "slots" for light in the other 3 but no light. IDK about the pass, or the rear as i dont sit there. will this mod fix that?

#36 ·
Personally, I think this mod is a waste of time and money. My Vibe also only has the driver's window switch lit. Since nobody in their right mind looks at the window switches at night while driving, what's the point of 3 more lights? For safety reasons, one should learn how to use your fingers and the sense of feel.

But to answer your question, yes.

#38 ·
Wow! I was wondering if this could be done! From the day I drove off the lot I hated how the switches didn't light up at night.....of course by time I noticed it didn't do this - it was AFTER I left the lot! That first night. Hated how it didn't light up. I am definitely doing this when the weather gets warm. Thanks so, so much! Reps for this!

Teresa

#42 ·
Thx for the info ,i wasnt sure how to take my switches out,and this helped me quite abit ,what really baffles me is my switches already have the led's,but only the drivers switch lights up,doesnt make sense to me to put them in with the led's for each one,and only have the drivers light up,but i guess thats how Dodge does it

#43 ·
Welcome to the forum!!! It's a cost cutting measure.:shakehead:

#47 ·
I just got my Caliber today and didn't even drive it at night yet, so I don't know what lights up and what doesn't! This is a great mod and sounds really easy and I'd be willing to give it a go. Does this apply to the 2009 Caliber as well? Would I get the 2007 Charger switches?

#49 ·
These Door Switches are for sure my next mod on the car!!!

#50 ·
placed my order today at DiscountedMoparparts.com for the Door switches, Cabin air Filter and also a license plate light bulb.

The website's part number for the cabin air filter is: 5058381AA

#52 ·
You could just get them from a dealer near you.

#53 ·
I agree with EXcaliber07 (Glenn). I bought mine from the dealer. I paid a little more for them but if something was wrong with them, it would be much easier to take care of.

#56 ·
I came across this post and was delighted to see an easy way to get the panel off. I installed new front speakers and wanted to get rid of an irritating rattle in the front passenger door. I read the TSB on rattles and did not want to go through all of those steps to get the door panel off. You do not know how happy it made me to be able to pop this one panel off and fix the problem, which was a loose bolt holding the door panel to the metal door.
Thanks for posting the step by step on getting the panel off, rattles really bug me when I am trying to listen to my jams.
I am thinking about doing this light switch mod now, since it is so easy to get to everything.

Oh, reps to you. I would give a bunch of them if I could.

#58 ·
id like to do this mod, my cali os 2008, so should i get the window switches from an 08 charger?

#59 ·
I think they are the same. Call your dealer and see if the 07 and 08 Charger switches have the same part number. If they do, either one will work on your Caliber.

#61 ·
ok, good idea! thanks david! y didnt i think of that? lol. ill go on moparperformance and see. if not, ill go to the dealer.

#64 ·
This is a great how-to. So great in face, that I think I'll use it to do this mod. I think I'll have to wait until after the holidays though. The wife probably wouldn't be too happy about me spending $50ish on something that she'd say isn't needed.
tell hers its safety related. will allow you to see the buttons in the dark much easier lol

plus its pretty...girls always go for that right? lol

#73 ·
If you remove the center console and the EL light rings (see service manual) you can troubleshoot the system.
Sometimes there is a bad solder joint at the connection from the power module to the EL rings, other times the power module itself is bad. If you get lucky, the harness connector to the power module may have come unplugged.
Keep us posted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.