Dodge Caliber Forum banner

Hot A/C Knobs!?!?!?!

17K views 41 replies 26 participants last post by  Evil Tom 
#1 ·
I dont know if anyone else has posted about this but does anyone elses A/C control knobs get a little to hot while driving for a long period of time? I will have the A/C on low or not on at all and the knobs seem to get quite warm. I was wondering if this is normal or if I should be concerned about this.

Thanks.

#2 ·
It's been reported, and is due to the resistors used to cut the speed of the blower. Full on uses no resistors, while low uses all the resistors creating much heat as they dissipate the current.

#5 ·
For me I don't notice it so much on the dials, but the entire faceplate around the climate controls always seams to be very warm to the touch when running the AC at any speed. I will have to remember to check it with out the blower running some time to see if it feels warm then.

#8 ·
I experienced the same sort of thing just the other day, and plan to speak to my dealer when getting my next regular service.

Specifically, I noticed that the dash area just above the temp/mode dials was very warm. Not hot, but warm. I did not have the A/C on. At that time, I did not even have the fan running. The heat dial was all the way down.

I had been driving at highway speeds for about 90 minutes when I noticed it. I had to turn the front defrost on briefly. I've had my Caliber for just over the year, and this was the first time I noticed this happening.

#9 ·
Hot Dashboard

I just drove my 2007 SXT for the first time going any great distance (210 miles). Had the A/C and the radio going the whole time and was traveling about 70 - 80 mph most of the way. The dash around and under the radio got pretty warm. Enough for me to notice even with the A/C on. Is this a Caliber thing, or should I call the dealer when I get back home? Is it the radio getting that hot?

Whadeduck

#14 ·
re: overheated dash

I just drove my 2007 SXT for the first time going any great distance (210 miles). Had the A/C and the radio going the whole time and was traveling about 70 - 80 mph most of the way. The dash around and under the radio got pretty warm. Enough for me to notice even with the A/C on. Is this a Caliber thing, or should I call the dealer when I get back home? Is it the radio getting that hot?

Whadeduck

Same here. Gets so hot my cds get stuck in my player.

#12 ·
It's the Pizza Pocket warmer option.

#16 ·
Also mine !!! I think it will be usefull to keep my hands warm during winter :D

#17 ·
Hot switches

Hey, has anyone else noticed that the control switches for the heat, a.c., fan and temp control in their Calibers get hot? My wife has constantly complained that they get hot to the touch and I have to admit that they get quite warm. I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed this or if I've got a unique Caliber. LOL It doesn't really bother me as I don't have much feeling in my finger tips since my brain surgery anyway, but the wife notices it.

#18 · (Edited)
Hey, has anyone else noticed that the control switches for the heat, a.c., fan and temp control in their Calibers get hot? My wife has constantly complained that they get hot to the touch and I have to admit that they get quite warm. I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed this or if I've got a unique Caliber. LOL It doesn't really bother me as I don't have much feeling in my finger tips since my brain surgery anyway, but the wife notices it.
You must have missed the half dozen or so other threads about that topic. It's most likely do to you having your dash light setting maxed out. The drivers for the LEDs dissipate a fair amount of power when the lights are maxed.

#19 ·
There will be some heat generated by the resistors in the switches. I notice a little warmth, but not hot, not objectionable. Maybe they changed the switches at some point in production...

I always drive with the dash lights at the dimmest setting. Any brighter than that is annoying.

#20 ·
Well, the only problem I see with that, Brad, is that we do very little night time driving as neither the wife nor I see that great at night. And we don't have DRL on our SE, and don't turn the lights on unless it's cloudy or raining. Must just be a quirk of the design. And I only keep the dimmer set about half way for the dash lights. I don't like them too bright.

#22 ·
The other thing to keep in mind, is that the resistors for the blower control are also housed in that same housing. The power resistors for that will also generate some heat. With the blower on 4, no resistors are in series. At 3, 1 resistor is in series. At 2, 2 resistors are in series, and at 1, 3 resistors are in series. So if the blower is running on 1 or 2, you will be generating some good heat. They probably should have housed the resistor else where, even on the blow itself, but they didn't.:i_rolleyes:

#21 ·
I've noticed ours to get hot.. didn't think much about it though, and we do keep the lights at full brightness at night... I don't know I don't think they are to bright. I don't think its much of an issue unless the lights start to burn out or melt stuff in which case I'd say it is poor design, there isn't any reason why you shouldn't be able to use interior lights at their brightest.

#23 ·
Okay, now that makes sense. We usually have the fan on even if we're not running the heat or a/c. Sounds like a poor design to me, but as long as it doesn't pose a threat of fire, I can live with that.

#24 ·
nothing new... is normal
:)

Reactions: 99GAZI
#25 ·
Any Solutions for Hot to the Touch A/C Blower Knob?

I have an 09 Caliber bought in December 08. I also have experienced the condition of the blower knob getting hot when the A/C is on for an extended time.

Has anyone actually taken any action to solve this problem? I noticed in one post that a poster intended to speak with his dealer about the issue.

#26 · (Edited)
I have an 09 Caliber bought in December 08. I also have experienced the condition of the blower knob getting hot when the A/C is on for an extended time.

Has anyone actually taken any action to solve this problem? I noticed in one post that a poster intended to speak with his dealer about the issue.
There is nothing to be done. You're dealing with power resistors in the circuit to change the speed of the blower. If you want a cooler knob, keep it on max. There aren't any resistors dissipating heat on max. This condition is more noticeable in the Caliber because the resistors and knob are all in one assembly. There's not a lot of air circulation in that area, so anything that generates heat will dissipate it out the front.

#27 ·
I asked my dealer about it and they just kind of looked at me and said they didn't know. When I mentioned that deal about the resistors mentioned by Brad, they immediately nodded in agreement that could be the reason. Bunch of morons!! Gotta have a customer help them with diagnostics.

#28 ·
mine are gettin also warm but duno if they're off and if the light is off when they get warm...

#29 ·
Hot switches?

So i bought an '08 Calibert SXT FWD a few months back. Everything so far seems to do its job. I did run into one issue, and I'd like to ask a few of you if your caliber does the same thing, since mine is still under warranty and the dealer is claiming its 'normal'.

When driving w/ the lights on, the fan control switch (center), gets very hot. Like, cautiously hot. My first assumption is that its related to the illumination. But I've never experienced a this in any of my other vehicles.. The switch works fine, and considering this only happens when illuminated. I just find it odd that it can get just about hot enough to burn my finger.

If this is a rare case and your calibers dont have the same issue, i'm going to presume its a faulty electrical problem, perhaps a short, or something drawing too much current, and shove my 36'000mile warranty down the dealer's throat.

Feed back is appreciated.

Thanks,

#30 ·
It's normal....................

Reactions: Prop1
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.