Dodge Caliber Forum banner

20,000 kms/miles help!

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  xcanuk 
#1 ·
I just took in my Caliber this morning for the 20,000 interval of oil change and rotation and brake inspection etc etc. The dealership sent me a coupon for this for a better price for the combo and should be about $62 with tax. Just as I was handing the guy the coupon he said also for the 20,000 interval they also need to service the brakes. I asked how much it would cost and he said it would be $120 something for all 4 brakes and said that this has to be done every 20,000 under the maintenance plan. I was given a maintenance guide that stated "clean & adjust front & rear brakes every 20,000 km". He told me they don't just clean the brakes they take apart the whole brake system and machine the calipers etc etc.

I trust the guy since I have known him for a while now and I'm wondering if this is really needs to be done to avoid voiding the warranty on the brake system or if it is just a cash grab by the dealership and that I don't really need it done?.....

any help would be really great or any other owners past experience with this.

thanks.

#2 ·
I know things are different for our Northern neighbor when it comes to warranty issues and money robbing maintenance plans so this will be short. I have approximately 31k miles on my Caliber and the only services that the dealer has done is rotate the tires. They do a visual check of the brakes and let me know if anything is wrong. I pay about $11.00 for this. If the brakes are working good and the want to service them why? Sounds like a money making opportunity.

#3 ·
ok thanks for your help. your right when it comes to if they inspect and they are working fine than why fix it for nothing.

#4 ·
Yes! the old saying, If it ain't broke, don't fix it!! :D

#9 ·
There is a BIG difference between "dealer" maintenance plans and the dodge maintenance plans. Its the dodge's plan that keeps the warrenty, dealers love to pad the plan. The only time I go with one of the dealer's plan is when there are several things to be serviced according to my owners manual and save with their economy prices.
I've always kept my vehicles for an average of 10 years, always serviced at the dealer for the minimal amount (vs their plan) and never had an issue with coverage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.